With toujou you set redirects using the module introduced in TYPO3 v9 LTS. This replaces the redirect feature used in versions up to version 8 LTS. In this tutorial we will explain which applications of this new module is relevant for editors.
On the left side of the back end menu you will find the blue icon Redirects. Click on it to create, manage and edit your URL redirects.
Step by step
Overview of entries
- By clicking on the Redirects icon in the module list of your website, the editing field for redirects or your already existing redirects will appear.
- Click on Create new redirect or on the +-sign above the workspace to create a new redirect.
- Source Domain: This field is only relevant if you manage more than one domain within a TYPO3 back end.
- The field marked with » * « indicates that your redirect is valid for each domain.
- If you manage only one domain, it makes no difference whether the default setting marked by the star (» * «) remains active or if you select your one domain name (in our example showcase.toujou.de).
- If you manage more than one domain, choose the domain you want to set a redirect for accordingly by clicking the dropdown menu.
- Source Path: Here you enter the path from which visitors are to be redirected to a new target link. Make sure to begin the path with a slash (» / «).
There are two possible cases:
- A URL was renamed (e.g. after a relaunch or in the page properties). In the future, visitors who start from a former URL path need to be directed to the new path. To achieve this, enter the former URL segment manually or by copy and paste into the Source Path section.
- A desired URL was created to be directed to an existing page, but the original URL is not changed (e.g. due to abbreviations and/or for marketing purposes). To achieve this, enter the desired URL segment manually or by copy and paste into the Source Path section.
Select redirect target
- Target: Set the current page to be referenced manually or by selection.
- To do this, click on the link icon to open the link browser. Now, select the target of the redirect.
- If necessary, open the page tree to click on the desired subpage.
- In order to forward a translated page, add the corresponding language in the field "Additional link parameters" by entering »L = X«. For English replace the X with a 1, for French with a 3 and for Italian with a 4. Additionally, you have to activate the field Keep GET Parameters.
Status Code HTTP Header
- 301 Moved Permanently: Select this status if the page path is permanently moved and the old URL should be ignored by search engines.
- 307 Temporary Redirect: The old URL should only temporarily lead to a different path, while it continues to be crawled by the search engines (in case new use of the former URL is to be expected).
- 302 Found and 303 See other do not play a relevant role for editors.
- Respect GET Parameters: Here we advise against activating the field, since the incoming URL is only treated if all URL variables (including possible attachments) are correct.
- Is regular expression?: Irrelevant to toujou customers.
- Force SSL Redirect: You can optionally enable this field, but your SSL certificate should automatically deliver the security encryption.
- Keep GET: Enable this field if you want to include any URL attachments associated with the configuration that can be redirected to.
Pieces of advice
With the Redirects module, TYPO3 and toujou editors open up the possibilities in URL administration, which previously had been reserved for only webmasters and administrators before the introduction of TYPO3 version 9.
Consider redirects that are necessary (for example, due to website relocation or path renaming/truncation) an important part of your SEO and marketing strategy. This is especially relevant if your site's URLs are already well ranked and need to still be found by the search engines. Also, keep in mind that other websites may link to your website and need to continue to find their destination.